[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: CVE ID Syntax Vote - results and next steps



All,

This is a very serious decision and the affects will be seen in places we do not expect.  I believe that a revote is the best approach. If we still cannot get to the simple majority needed then we may need to rethink the options themselves.  But let's see where the revote take us and proceed from there.

Kent Landfield

McAfee | An Intel Company
Direct: +1.972.963.7096 
Mobile: +1.817.637.8026
Web: www.mcafee.com

From: <Christey>, "Steven M." <coley@mitre.org>
Date: Monday, April 15, 2013 5:54 PM
To: cve-editorial-board-list <cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org>
Subject: CVE ID Syntax Vote - results and next steps

All,

Thank you very much for voting!  It may have been 10 years or more since our last formal vote.

We had 18 votes in all, far beyond the simple majority of listed Board members.

For the first choice, the results are:

   Option A - 7
   Option B - 7
   Option C - 4

As noted in our "Procedures and Timeline" email from March 26, item 10 says:

     "At least a simple majority of the votes cast is required for any option to be selected."

For 18 voters, we would need 10 votes for a single option, and obviously that's not the case here.  Option A and Option B are tied.

The only clear decision at this point, is that Option C cannot be selected.  Even among those who voted for Option C as their first choice, their second choices were split - two for Option A, and two for Option B.

We will be in touch with the Board regarding next steps.  It seems reasonable to have a re-vote among the final two options, but given how closely tied A and B are, we may need to clarify procedures to force us to come to a clear and timely decision while preserving the integrity of the process.

As usual, Board members are welcome to share their thoughts with the list.

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. As a side note, during the informal, non-voting, non-binding public feedback phase (which included some Board members), Option A and Option B were also tied, and Option C lagged behind.


 
Page Last Updated: June 26, 2013